Services for Alumni & Visitors
Visitors and alumni guests are welcome to use the Library’s collections for research and study. You do not need a library card to make use of resources while in the building.
Get a Library Card
You will need a library card to check out Minnesota State Mankato library materials. Once you have a Minnesota State Mankato library card, you are able to borrow a wide variety of materials. See our Checkout and Return page for details.
To get a library card:
- Bring photo ID with proof of address and age to the Library Circulation Desk. A current driver’s license is preferred, but other combinations of identification can be used. Students from other colleges or universities should use their student ID.
- Fill out an application form. A parent or guardian’s signature is required for residents under 18 years of age.
- A valid e-mail address is needed to checkout more than one item. All library notices are sent via e-mail.
Alumni can bring in their old MavCards to receive guest borrowing privileges. If you no longer have a MavCard, see instructions above.
Visitors with a valid Minnesota State Mankato barcode are able to borrow a wide variety of materials. See our Checkout and Return page for details.
Guest Computer Access
Visitors are welcome to use our public research workstations to support research, study, and professional activities. Guests are subject to the computer use policy put forth by Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU) in the Acceptable Use of Computers and Information Technology Resources policy.
Additional information for guest computer users:
- The Library reserves the right to limit the amount of time that a guest may utilize a workstation.
- Workstations are not available after 9:00 pm during the academic year.
- Library Services does not use filtering software or content blocking of any internet material.
- Parents and legal guardians are responsible for monitoring the internet activity of their children or the minors in their custody.
- Users are responsible for the content of their personal use of system information technology and may be subject to liability resulting from that use.
- Printing is available for a charge. Printouts can be picked up and paid for in the Library Copy Shop during their posted hours.
- Files may not be saved to public research workstations and unauthorized software may not be installed.
Guest Access to Library Databases
The Electronic Library for Minnesota (eLibraryMN) provides access to research and information databases to all Minnesota residents. You can access additional databases at the Memorial Library on the guest computers.
Librarians are available to answer research questions. For more information about these services, visit the Ask a Librarian page.