Checkout & Return
Learn about borrowing and returning library material. View details about checkout periods, notices, & fines.
- Students, faculty, and staff from Minnesota State Mankato - must present MavCard
- Students from other colleges and universities in Minnesota - must present student ID
- Minnesota State Mankato Alumni & Emeriti with MavCard.
- Public library patrons carrying a valid Minnesota public library card
- Undergraduate & graduate student loan period for books: end of semester
- Faculty & staff loan period for books: end of academic year
- Community & alumni loan period for books: 21 days
- For items with shorter loan periods, such as videos and music CDs (14 days), loan period is the same for all patron classes.
- Undergraduate & graduate students - 250 items
- Faculty & staff - 250 items
- Community & alumni - 10 items
Loan periods will vary per item.
- Courtesy Notice -- reminder of upcoming due date
- Overdue Notice - return or renew immediately to avoid late fees
- Loan Recall Notice -- A recall means that someone else has requested the book. Please
return book by the due date listed.
- Overdue/billed Notice -late fees and default replacement cost have been billed to your account.
Please return items immediately.
You are responsible for all materials checked out with your MavCard. This includes reviewing receipt or checking online library account to confirm due date.
Notices will be sent to your email address. Please follow the instructions in the email to avoid late fees. Email notices are sent as a courtesy. Failure to receive a notice does not change the obligation of the borrower to return or renew the material on time. It is the responsibility of the borrower to update their contact information.
Renewals can be done from within your online library account or in person at the library. Materials cannot be renewed if they have been requested by another library user.
Overdue materials cannot be renewed online.
Once an item is late enough to be marked overdue/billed, you will be charged the full default replacement cost. If you are billed for replacement costs, bring back the overdue/billed item; replacement charges will be cancelled. If replacement cost is paid, payment can be refunded if item is found and returned within 6 months of original due date.
If item is damaged, a repair fee may be charged. Amount depends on the value of the item and extent of damage as assessed by the Library. Borrowers may also receive fines for misuse of materials or services or damage to materials. Misuse can include ignoring recall notice or failure to leave a group study room in a timely fashion.
Notices may be ending up in your junk mail.
White List the email address to fix this problem :
Go to your “Junk” email folder:
Right click on the email that should not have gone to the “Junk” email folder:
On the drop-down menu – choose Junk then Not Junk
A dialog box appears:
Click on OK!
Then go to your “In Box” to find the email.
Library materials can be returned in a number of places. All items can be returned to the Circulation Desk whenever the library is open. When the library is closed, materials can be turned in at book drops on either side of the library (see map for locations). The book drop on the south side of the library, near the fountain, is in the alcove near the bike racks. The book drop on the north side is across from Preska Hall, in the alcove next to the receiving door.
Note: Equipment and other oversized items can only be returned to the front Circulation desk. They will not fit in the book drops.
Holds (Request Item)
Patrons may use the MavScholar to place holds on materials checked out by another person using the Request Item button. When the requested materials are returned, you will receive an email notice that the materials are now available for use. Materials will be held for one week only. Alternatively, you can request the unavailable item via InterLibrary Loan - include note that item is unavailable. (Please note: textbooks being used in Minnesota State Mankato courses are not available through ILL.)
If you receive a Loan Recall Notice, it means someone has requested that book. Please return book by the due date indicated on the notice. Books can be recalled after three weeks. If recalled materials are not returned by the new due date, a block will be placed on your library record.
|Collection||Fine or Fee||Replacement Charge|
|Books - General Collection, Best Sellers, New Books, Scores, etc||NA||$100 - $200|
|Books - ERC Juvenile Collection||NA||$30|
|CD, DVD, VHS, LP||NA||$200|
|Interlibrary Loan Materials||NA||$100|
|Reserve Materials (books, DVDs, CDs, keys)||$15.00/ hour fine||$200|
|Equipment-- Laptop Computer, Tablet, Video Projector, etc||$25 per day fine||$1000|
|A/V Media-- Cameras, Tripods, etc||$15 per day fine||$200|
|Other formats -- maps, etc.||NA||$100
Late fees and replacement charges appear on your library account and are reported to Student Financial Services. Payments must be made to the university cashier's office. Payment options
- will block your library privileges
- will block your course registration
- will block graduation
- will block transcripts
- will be sent to a collection agency by the university business office
Reply to email notice or contact a staff member listed below to inquire about library fines, charges, or overdue notices.